Skip to content

Information for parents and carers

Frequently asked questions from parents/carers about the services the Derbyshire Music Education Hub and its delivery partners provide.

Instrumental and vocal tuition

Q: How do I find an instrumental teacher for my child?

A: You should approach your school first. They will arrange everything with the Derby & Derbyshire Music Partnership. You do not need to contact them directly yourself.

Q: Will lessons be at exactly the same time each week?

A: Wherever possible instrumental teachers will devise a rotation system to avoid the need for pupils to miss the same part of the same lesson repeatedly.

Q: I would like my child to be considered for subsidised tuition? How do I arrange this?

A: The Music Partnership subsidises the cost of instrumental/vocal lessons through various remission schemes. Only Music Partnership accredited teachers are able to access these subsidies for their pupils. You should contact your child's instrumental or vocal teacher to discuss this.

Q: Are the loaned-out instruments insured?

A: The form you will need to complete in order to loan an instrument will ask that you check if it's covered on your household insurance. In most cases this is quite straight-forward.

Q: An instrument in my child's care has been broken/damaged. What do I do?

AMost things that go wrong, although apparently disastrous, are in fact relatively minor. Contact your child's instrumental teacher who will be able to advise, repair or arrange for repair and may even be able to loan a replacement instrument.

However, it is important that children understand that instruments are delicate and must be handled with care and parents should not attempt to carry out repairs themselves.

Q: What measures are in place for assuring the quality of my child's instrumental and vocal tuition?

A: We have well-established systems for monitoring, mentoring, supporting and evaluating all provision which have been developed to incorporate all aspects of Derbyshire Music Education Hub delivery. Click here for more information.

Q: I think my child is ready to take an exam, what do I do?

A: Your child's instrumental teacher is the person to contact. They will arrange everything and know when the best time to enter your child for an exam.

Q: I have concerns about my child's progression on their instrument. Who can I speak to about this?

A: In the first instance you should speak to your child's instrumental teacher and raise your concerns with them.

Music Centres & other musical activities

Q: My child has expressed an interest in an activity being offered by one of the delivery partners. What do I do now?

A: This site has contact details for all the music centres and other delivery partners of the Music Education Hub. Unlike with instrumental and vocal tuition in school, you should contact them directly to find out more, or to enrol your child onto that activity.

Click here for more information on the music centres.