Auditions for woodwind, brass and percussion players
Apply for an audition to be a member of the City & County Youth Orchestra and/or Wind Band
We audition woodwind and brass players to become members of the City & County Youth Orchestra (CCYO) and Wind Band (CCYWB) throughout the academic year. Successful applicants are then invited to start with the ensemble at the next available residential course.
Please read the following advice before submitting your application for an audition.
- Ability level − Applicants are expected to be of at least grade 6 standard. Where there is higher competition for places, an ability of up to grade 8 may be needed.
- Availability − Applicants are expected to have good availability for the commitments of CCYO/CCYWB after the audition date.
- Ensemble − In the application you can tell us which ensemble you'd like to be considered for. You can choose both.
- Reference − We need you to provide us with the contact details of your instrumental teacher so if necessary we may seek confirmation of your readiness to audition.
- Confirmation − If you are under 18, you will need a parent/guardian to confirm your application before it can be submitted.
What's coming up for the City & County Youth Wind Band (CCYWB)...
Autumn Residential Course
Sunday 24 - Wednesday 27 October 2021 at The Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick
What's coming up for the City & County Youth Orchestra (CCYO)...
February Residential Course
Sunday 20 - Monday 22 February 2022 at The Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick
There are different requirements for a CCYWB and a CCYO audition.
City & County Youth Wind Band (CCYWB)
An audition for the City & County Youth Wind Band (CCYWB) will include a short performance of one piece/study, a selection of scales and arpeggios, and the sight-reading of an extract of music.
Video audition requirements for CCYWB
- Note: Auditions for Autumn Residential Course
Auditions for the CCYWB Autumn residential will be via video submission. Please see the requirements by following the button link below.
City & County Youth Orchestra (CCYO)
An audition for the City & County Youth Orchestra (CCYO) will include a short performance of 2 pieces/studies, a selection of scales and arpeggios, and the sight-reading of an extract of music.
Audition requirements for CCYO
- Note: Auditions for February Residential Course
Anyone wanting to audition for CCYO are welcome to submit an application, but we will arrange an audition date closer to the course. Those wanting to audition for both ensembles should submit video recordings for CCYWB as detailed above.
Submitting your application
Please follow the link below to complete our audition application form and a member of the Ensembles team will be in touch with you.
Submit your application online