Junior Music at Home – Week 1
Listening to music | Creating music
To start your home-learning we have prepared two tasks that can be done on your own or with your family...
1. Listening to music
Give these three YouTube videos a watch, and choose your favourite (each link will open a new tab) for the task below...
Answer the following questions about the piece of music you chose. You can either write this down, or discuss with your family.
- 1. Describe the instrument being played. What shape and size is it?
2. Describe the materials used to make this instrument
3. How do you think it makes a sound? Can you work what the performer does to create this sound?
4. How did this music make you feel? Choose an emoji if you'd like!
2. Creating music
It's time to make a kitchen utensil band! First, make sure the adults in the house are OK with this, and maybe even get them to join in too.
- Find some suitable items from the kitchen that you think will make some good sounds... like a saucepan, spoon, ladel, spatula, whisk etc.
- Using a grid separated into four beats, make a graphic score showing when each sound is going to be made.
We've prepared an example for you, and you can download this, as well as a template grid to print at home below
Try playing each part, then with the help of others in the house, all the parts together.
- When you've done that, you could try changing the rhythms for each sound, or make more than one grahic score. Make them as colourful as you can.
Share your work with us!
We'd love to see the work you've done! Head over to our Facebook Page to send us a message or use this direct link to our messenger and share your pictures and videos. We'll try to reply to all messages, and will choose some examples to share with our followers on a regular basis.