Wider Opportunities – 2020-21 booking now open!
30-week instrumental programmes of whole class instrumental teaching. Supporting schools to deliver Core Role 1 of the National Plan for Music Education, and contributing to a broad and balanced curriculum.
Derby & Derbyshire Music Partnership offers 30-week programmes of whole class ensemble teaching to KS2 pupils (aimed primarily at year 4), delivered by specially trained teachers. These programmes are designed to meet the requirement of the National Plan for Music Education Core Role 1 and contributing to a broad and balanced curriculum.
Ensure that every child has the opportunity to learn a musical instrument (other than voice) through whole-class ensemble teaching programmes for ideally a year … of weekly tuition on the same instrument.
Core Role 1 − National Plan for Music Education (NPME)
Choice of programmes
We offer programmes of Wider Opportunities in four instrumental categories:
- Woodwind − Fife, Flute, Oboe and Clarinet
Brass − Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone, Baritone and/or Euphonium
Strings − Violin, Viola, Cello and/or Double Bass; Ukulele
World Percussion − Djembe (African drums); Samba Band; Steel Pans
Year-long programmes consist of 30x 45-minute lessons spread over three terms, timetabled at a convenient time for you. A class set of instruments will also be provided along with any resources for follow-up activities.
Benefits for schools and pupils
- Pupils are taught within a normal classroom situation where their self-confidence grows as they learn alongside each other and their teachers.
- Pupils develop their musical skills in a creative way, participating in rhythm games and singing and learning to play instruments.
- Performances are planned into the programme, giving parents the opportunities to share in their children's success.
- Class teachers get 'in house' professional development which augments and supports music provision in school.
- There is the opportunity to continue instrumental tuition after the programme has ended.
A broad and balanced curriculum
- "The skills developed through these lessons reach far beyond musical learning"
Renishaw Primary School
- "A SEND pupil was able to play with confidence which really built up their self esteem"
Dronfield Junior School
- "Listening skills have improved for previously unfocussed children:
Becket Primary School
- "The children start their day in a positive way being creative and collaborative – using thei best listening"
Ashover Primary School
Booking your Wider Opportunities programmes...
- 3 terms for 2 – Our early booking offer will be available until Friday 5 June 2020 (This has been extended in light of the current situation with schools). Booking will remain open after this date, but without the offer
- £100 morning discount – If we can arrnage a morning timetable slot for the lessons (starting in September), there is a £100 discount off the programme cost.
Book your Wider Opportunities programme online...
Are you a parent/carer?
This page is for schools only. If you're looking for information about instrumental tuition, please follow this link to be taken to the correct page.