City & County Youth Wind Band (CCYWB)
The Derbyshire City & County Youth Wind Band is one of the flagship large ensembles for Derby and Derbyshire, bringing together many of the most talented young musicians from schools and music centres across the city and county
The band usually meets for two residential courses a year in October and March as well as for special projects and festivals including the National Concert Band Festival.
The Band prepares high-standard music in rehearsals with accomplished instrumentalists tutoring for the duration of courses and rehearsals, with time for recreation and socialising with like-minded musicians from across the city and county. Each course culminates in a high-profile performance at venues across Derbyshire.
Members of CCYWB are often players in their local music centre or schools bands and ensembles, with many continuing with CCYWB up to leaving school.
The band is directed by Mark Heron with recent performances including Paris Sketches (Ellerby(, First and Second Suites (Holst), Grand Central Station (Hess) and Incantation and Dance (Barnes Chance). See the full CCYWB concerts and events archive for more.
CCYWB Autumn Timetable
Sunday 28 January, 9.00am-1.00pm
The Member's Room, County Hall, Matlock DE4 3AG
Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 March
Course at Lea Green, Concert at County Hall, Matlock – find out more
Sunday 17 March in Warwick
With a morning rehearsal at ~9.00am, return in the evening. Details TBC.
Join the City & County Youth Wind Band
We accept applications all year round from new players wanting to join the band. These are reviewed and if accepted, an invitation to audition for a place in the band is extended. Successful players are then able to start at the next course or event.
- Ability − Applicants are expected to be of at least grade 6 standard. Where there is higher competition for places, an ability of up to grade 8 may be needed.
- Availability − Applicants are expected to have good availability for the commitments of CCYWB. These are listed above.
- Other ensembles − In the application you will be asked if you want to also be considered for the City & County Youth Orchestra (CCYO). This is not obligatory.
- Reference − We need you to provide us with the contact details of your instrumental teacher so if necessary we may seek confirmation of your readiness to audition.
- Confirmation − If you are under 18, you will need a parent/guardian to confirm your application before it can be submitted
- Audition – An audition will include a short performance of one piece/study, a selection of scales and arpeggios, and the sight-reading of an extract of music. See the full requirements.
Apply for an audition now!
Next round of auditions will take place in the Spring Term, but we welcome applications at any time.
Friends and Sponsorship of the City & County Ensembles
Support our ensembles by becoming a Friend or sponsoring a concert
Your generosity will go a long way in supporting the orchestras by enabling us to provide bursaries for those facing financial hardship and help us maintain our rarer and more expensive instruments.